Sunday, July 12, 2009

Butterfly Fly Away

“Just study what you want..”

is something every parent would tell their children when they choose their pathway after SPM.

I see you shaking your head… exclaiming how it’s so untrue. But wait, I have yet to finish the sentence. Just like every parent… they will also add…

“but are you sure you want to do that? Why not take up [inserts course of parent’s choice] instead? It has more job opportunity.”

Dear mum and dad,

You may think that your child do not have the right maturity to choose a correct pathway, you may advice. Just advice, please do not confuse them into thinking they’re choosing the wrong pathway. Okay, let’s say your child is really bad in physics and he/she wants to do engineering. That you can definitely advice.

If your child shows interest in a certain field that he/she is good at… why confuse them further by pushing more options into their mind. They might start thinking, maybe what I am choosing ain’t the best. They go to the course chosen by you, you are happy while they suffer through something that they do not have interest in.

Don’t brainwash them into thinking their dream job is worthless unless it really is. If you think your child ain’t making the right choice… why not try a better way like. Finding out more on the course and then tell them what they have to do to fit the criteria? Maybe then, they might realize if the pathway is right or wrong.

“I only want what’s best for you…”

How many children have fallen victims to this sentence. Just because they do not want to go against their parent’s word. They swallow their ambition and do what their parents think is “best for them”. Few years down the road, you gained weight, you’re fat and balding. You’re sitting in the same cubicle you’ve been in for the past 10 years. Same routine day after day, doing something you’re not interested in. What are you getting out of it? Just money. You would look back and regret for not standing up for your interest.

“Interest can be developed…”

Not all the time… For example… I really hate studying Biology and you made me take up BioTech or something like that. One, I wouldn’t be doing as well as I would be doing something I like. Two, I wouldn’t have as much of a drive to succeed in it. Three, I don’t even know what I am doing.

I told my mum I am going to take up Major in Psychology and Minor in Marketing Communication. I think this can help me get into the Event Managing field without needing to study Business… She wasn’t exactly unsupportive of it but she did listed out things like…

- Not all college foundations are recognized at every college. If you did your foundation here, you can’t switch to another college to continue.
- Doing foundation narrows your field unlike A Levels.
- If you decide to stop halfway, you’ve to retake the entire course.

True, true and true. I told her, I really do not want to waste my time studying A levels when I already know what I want. I do not want to study Bio, Phy or Chem ever again. I would suck at them and that would pull my A Lvls grades down a lot! So what’s the point there?

Love the post, Hate the post.. it’s just from my point of view. <3

Leave a comment if you please. ;)

1 comment:

Terry said...

Just chill. Parents are parents. Since you kena NS, you have the luxury to choose college AFTER the SPM result. so you have tons of time to think alrite?

You'll have alot of time to think in NS as well. All the best